Wednesday, November 11, 2009

EMT

I had a really exciting experience in the gym the other night. A girl was playing basketball and she fell flat on her back. I was watching when she fell and she kind of rolled over on to her side and just laid there. After she didn't get up for like 5 seconds, I ran over to see if she was ok. I asked her what hurt and she said her lower back, So I immediately took C-spine and called my friend Kyle over who was in training to be an EMT before he got to Spine. By then, a HUGE group of people was crowding around and every one was trying to move her and talk to her and touch her, so kyle and I had to kind of yell at them to get them to stop.

We got someone to call for the ambulance around 10:20 and the incident happened at 10:15. We took her vitals every 10 minutes but slowly her conditions kept getting worse and worse, so we started to take them every 5 minutes. After 45 minutes, the ambulance still hadn't arrived, and she was starting to fall asleep. She had barely any sensation in her hands and anytime i tried to look for sensation in her feet, she said it hurt a lot. Everyime she would fall asleep she would stop breathing, so we had to work really hard to keep her awake by pinching her and talking to her REALLY loud.

Finally after an hour (!) the ambulance arrived. And in spain they do NOT KNOW how to do a log roll. I was SO PISSED after I watched how they got her unto the gurny (dont know how to spell that). They put some sort of metal thing under her and then lifted her up to it but they kept her on her side the whole time..and it was just really weird. Anyways, that was my exciting night. And know she is wearing a C-collar and can barely move so she stays in bed all day. pray for her please:]

No comments:

Post a Comment